Free Up Space lets you delete the local version of a photo or video, but keep it on your Jottacloud account in the cloud.
There are four ways to free up space on your iOS device:
- Delete a photo or video outside the Jottacloud app
- Using the Free Up Space feature on a single photo or video
- Using the Free Up Space feature on all photos and videos on the device
- Selecting photos in the timeline and selecting the "Free up space" option in the select options menu (the "..."-button)
As always on iOS, you must empty the Photo trash bin in Apple's built in Photo app to reclaim device storage space for deleted photos and videos. If you don't empty the photo trash bin manually, the storage space will be freed up after 30 days. (see bottom of the page)
Using the Free Up Space feature on all photos stored on the device
To free up space for all your local photos and videos that have been backed up, simply open the main menu and select "Free Up Space".
The app will calculate the number of files and megabytes that can be deleted. To free up space, simply select FREE UP SPACE in the confirmation dialog.
When prompted by iOS if you want to delete the photos from the phone, press Delete.
Remember to remove the recently freed up photos from the "Recently deleted album" in iOS Photos app (see more below)
Free Up Space and iCloud
Using the Free Up Space feature will delete photos from your local device. If you have enabled iCloud Photo Library on your iOS device, the photos and videos you delete from the device will also be deleted from your iCloud account.
Live Photo and Photo Burst
In Jottacloud for iOS 4.2.1 and above we free up Live Photos, but the The Free Up Space feature does not work on photos that was taken with the iOS feature Photo Burst.
Permanently delete from iOS device storage
Ta actually free up the space on the device you also need to remove the photos and videos from recently deleted files.
- Open the iOS "Photos" app and go to the Albums tab.
- Open the Recently Deleted album and tap Select.
- Tap each photo or video that you want to permanently delete.
- Tap Delete.